Apprenticeship qualification fees are capped at $2,000 and Traineeship qualification fees are capped at $1,000.
Fee Free Apprenticeships & Traineeships
NSW apprentices & trainees who are funded under Smart & Skilled and who commence training for the first time on or after 1 July 2018 (for apprentices) and 1 January 2020 (for trainees) are eligible for a Fee Free Apprenticeship or Traineeship. This includes:
1. Apprentices who commence subsidised training for the first time on or after 1 July 2018 and Trainees who commence subsidised training for the first time on or after 1 January 2020
2. Apprentices & Trainees whose apprenticeship/traineeship is cancelled and subsequently recommence an apprenticeship in the same vocation with a different employer, and recommence subsidised training on or after the above dates
3. Apprentices & Trainees whose apprenticeship/traineeship is cancelled, and subsequently commence a new apprenticeship in a new vocation with a same/different employer, and commence in subsidised training on or after the above dates
4. An Apprentice or Trainee who has completed an apprenticeship/traineeship and is undertaking a subsequent apprenticeship/traineeship and is commencing the subsidised training on or after the above dates
For 2 and 3 above, and in some scenarios 4; must be awarded Credit Transfer (CT) and / or Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) (where relevant), and this is reflected in the Notification of Enrolment through the Provider Calculator. Where this occurs, only the proportion of training that is undertaken after 1 July 2018 for the new apprenticeship qualification and 1 January 2020 for the new traineeship qualification is fee free.
Specific apprentice exclusions from eligibility for fee free training, are where a NSW apprentice or trainees who commenced training prior to 1 July 2018 (apprenticeship) and 1 January 2020 (traineeship) recommences their subsidised training:
a) with the same provider, and is employed by the same employer in the same vocation, or
b) changes provider and remains party to a training contract with the same employer and in the same vocation
c) commenced training under a school based apprenticeship/traineeship prior to the above dates and then transitions to a full apprenticeship on or after those dates.
The apprentice / trainee must be granted CT / RPL and be subject to reduced fees due to CT / RPL.
Concession Fees are discounted fees and are a flat fee of up to $240.00 (depending on the qualification chosen) for all Certificate levels up to and including Certificate IV. A Fee Concession is available and may be applied for using the appropriate form if the student is a recipient of eligible Commonwealth benefits or allowances, or a dependent child, spouse or partner of a person receiving the eligible benefit. (See the Concession Form for the list of eligible benefits and required documentary proof, or contact Austrain Academy.) Note - there are no concessions for students enrolling in Diploma level qualifications.
Fee Exemptions / Waivers
Student who qualify for a fee exemption are:
- Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people
- Persons with a disability(ies) (that is people who meet the disability fee exemption criteria, including the dependent child, spouse or partner of a recipient of a Disability support Pension).
- School Based Apprentices and Trainees are exempt from fees.
- Recipients of Fee-Free Scholarships
- Refugees and Asylum seekers
- Most students studying apprenticeship qualifications under the EAT program
A Fee Exemption/Waiver may be applied for using the appropriate form. (See the form for the list of eligible benefits and required documentary proof, or contact Austrain Academy.)
Note - Australian Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students; students who meet the disability fee eligibility requirements and students who meet the refugee or asylum seeker eligibility and exemption criteria, will be exempt from fees for any Smart and Skilled enrolments for which they are eligible.
Fees will be invoiced to either the Student or Employer (some Modern Awards include provision for Employer payment of fees on behalf of their apprentice or trainee and where this is the case the employer will pay the Student Fee see www.fairwork.gov.au) as indicated on Austrian Academy's enrolment form. If not indicated, fees will be invoiced to the student. Employers will be invoiced on the same basis as students, with provision for payment by instalments if required by the employer.
Fees will be invoiced at 50% of the total qualification student fee upon completion of the enrolment process. (These fees will not exceed $1,000.00 prior to qualification/course commencement). The balance of the student fee will be triggered by commencement of 50% of the units of competence for the qualification/course. (These fees will not exceed $1,500.00 in advance). (Commencement of the course/qualification is defined by Austrain Academy as the student receiving or being given access to learning/training materials for at least one Unit of Competence (UOC). The student must sign to acknowledge receipt of these materials.) You may make an arrangement with Austrain Academy to pay off these fees. The minimum arrangement is $25.00/week. You MUST contact Austrain Academy office to make this arrangement, prior to your invoice due date. (14 days from invoice issued date). You will be contacted by Austrain Academy Administration within 7 days of failure to meet the payment terms. Failure to meet the terms of the payment arrangement will result in the full invoice amount falling due. This may also result in training not commencing or suspension of training. All outstanding fees MUST be paid by completion of your course/qualification. Failure to complete payment will result in non-issuance of your statement of attainment/record of results/testamur and your debt may be referred to an independent Debt Recovery Agency.